I would like to begin a new series on why we should sing the Psalms in worship. To give you a preview of where I am headed, here are 10 reasons why I believe it is vital to the Christian life that we sing the Psalms in worship:
Why Sing the Psalms in Worship?
- They are inspired by the Holy Spirit (2 Tim. 3:16; 2 Pet. 1:21).
- It is an excellent way of hiding God’s word in your heart and letting the word of God dwell in you richly (Ps. 119:11; Col. 3:16).
- The Psalms present the Biblical pattern for properly balancing the objective and the subjective aspects of the Christian life.
- The Psalms give us a comprehensive presentation of Christian emotion.
- The Psalms give us hope by anticipating the return of Christ and the age to come.
- The Psalms are a great way to express our unity with God’s people from thousands of years ago.
- The wisdom of church history.
- The Psalms will help you understand the New Testament better.
- The Psalms are Christ-centered (Luke 24:27, 44).
- You will come to know the heart and mind of Christ better (e.g. Matt. 27:46; cf. Ps. 22).
Some of these reasons overlap, but I think these are well worth considering separately. I am looking forward to the discussion.